Oh, it’s that time of year again. Sick season!
It starts to get cold outside. Everyone in the office or at school is suddenly coughing. Some losing their voices. The person sitting next to you has a stock pile of dirty tissues. You think to yourself, “Yup, it’s that time of year. I’m gonna get sick.”
Well frankly rather than call this sick season, I would prefer to call it, “It’s getting cold, unhealthy, forget-to-take-care-of-yourself season.”
I know, we all think that it’s just inevitable. All we can do is wash our hands as much as possible and stay away from the sick people.
Or is it?
Hardly. Colds and flus can be prevented by simply amping up your immune system. When it gets cold, your body’s immune system is automatically working harder simply to keep your body temperature up. Then to add to that, we have holiday season. This is why I call it the unhealthy, forget-to-take-care-of-yourself season. You’re eating rich meaty, cheesy foods, followed up by holiday cookies and other desserts. You’re just over-eating in general. Everyone has candy on their desk. You’re drinking more coffee and hot chocolate but less water. Your partying with friends, family, and coworkers. Staying up late, waking up early. The holiday season is everything that will suppress your immune system.
Before you reach for the Meds
Remember your body is a freakin’ genius! You are the dumb one wrecking it. (Sorry but it’s true.) Think about it. If you’re sneezing and have a runny nose, you’re body is obviously trying to get rid of something in your body. Same thing goes for coughing, or any other types of “get rid of process.” When you take medicine to stop the runny nose or suppress the cough, you are actually prolonging your sickness, because now the part of your body trying to get rid of this crap is paralyzed by the medicine and has to find some other way to “fix” you.
Now I understand, taking medicine to stop your runny nose is certainly convenient, but it isn’t fixing the problem. So rather, we should be asking ourselves, “How can I help my body fight this crap off?” One of the first things that comes to most peoples mind is Vitamin C. I agree one hundred percent! BUT, don’t go running for the orange juice. I said DO NOT. Orange juice has wayyy too much sugar in it. Sugar will hurt your immune system more than the little bit of Vitamin C will help. What you need is REAL FOOD packed with Vitamin C… and A… and E… and anti oxidants… and well I could go on and on with other phytochemicals, but I think you get the picture. Basically eat tons of fruits and vegetables people! (IE eat the orange not the fake sugar juice in the store.)
So I actually fell into the Holiday Season, terrible habits, forget to be healthy and take care of yourself trap, and I started getting sick. While I hate admitting this, lucky for you I can share with you what I did to beat that crap in 24 hours.
1. Plain hot water. No honey, no lemon, no tea, jut plain hot water. This sounds so weird, I know. I learned this from John Douillard. It’s an ayurvedic practice. I could try to explain it, but its difficult. Just trust me and John Douillard here. Sip plain hot water as often as possible throughout the day.
2. Fresh Juice. I found everything in my kitchen that was orange, yellow or just really good for me and loaded it into my juicer. I used, 3 handfuls of kale pieces, 2 oranges, 3 carrots, 1 apple, 1/3 of a sweet potato. Then squeeze a lemon wedge into the juice. I drank 2 large glasses of this. One for breakfast. One for dinner. And oh yea, it’s delish!
Be Healthy, be sick-free, be happy, and be hot this holiday season!
Merry Christmas from me and these guys!
Don’t forget to share with me!
What do you do when you get sick?
Do you have any home remedies you swear by?
This topic was actually requested by my fiancé and his sales team. While my first reaction is always stop eating junk and eat healthy foods, I have to realize sometimes that it isn’t that easy for others and it’s not that simple. Almost every food package has some sort of health claim on it. Plus there are thousands of conflicting diet theories out there. So no I guess it really isn’t that easy.
Here are my 5 simple tips to having better energy
1. Eat more Alkaline-forming foods. The body is set somewhere around a pH of 7.35. This is slightly alkaline. When it becomes more acidic, it’s a breeding grounds for disease. When your body is fighting the beginnings of disease, there isn’t going to be as much energy left over for you to do what you want to do with it.
Alkaline-forming foods are leafy green veggies, almonds, celery, cantaloupe, molasses, and basically any fruit or veggie is alkaline-forming.
On the same note, it also makes sense to cut back on acid-forming foods. These are grains, fish, meat, poultry, shellfish, cheese, milk and salt.
In simple terms, EAT YOUR FRUITS AND VEGGIES!
2. Get 8 hours of sleep. Like you’ve never heard this before?! Your body needs time to take care of you! Your body has its own clock. Do you remind it to breathe? Tell it when to pump blood? No. Your body has an agenda when you’re supposed to be sleeping and when you’re not sleeping it can’t do its jobs.
3. Deep Breathing. Most people don’t get air into the bottom portion of their lungs. Taking very deep breaths and allowing your lungs to fill completely will increase your energy. Do this in the morning, at work, before you work out, whenever.
4. Drink water. Another obvious one, but if it’s so obvious why doesn’t everyone drink enough water? Dehydration is an energy killer. Drink some water!
5. Laugh. Sing. Dance. Do something fun. Get in a good laugh. Sing your heart out to your favorite song. Shake your stuff. Get moving. All these things bring a lightness to your life. Make you smile and therefore give energy.
Keep in mind, having low energy is a sign that your body isn’t functioning properly. Disease is not as circumstantial as we like to think, but a direct correlation to all the decisions we’ve made that effect our body and minds. Our body is constantly talking to us, giving us signs that we need to fix and change things we’re doing. Your job is to listen to those signs and respond accordingly.
Be health, happy, and hot. Take care of your body!