If as soon as you saw the word asparagus you thought you were done reading this,
just hold your horses.
I have not just been loving asparagus lately. I’ve been loving asparagus since I started cooking when I was 17 AND I was an extremely picky eater, and that gives me hope for you and the rest of the world. If you’re absolutely sure you don’t like asparagus, just give it one more try. This is the greatest, easiest, tastiest recipe for asparagus I have ever had.
But first, let me tell you all the glorious reasons why you should be eating this food.
- Asparagus is loaded with Vitamic C. Yes, like oranges. Vitamin C not only strengthens your immune system, but it repairs damaged tissues. What does that mean for you? YOUR SKIN! Getting more than enough Vitamin C will give you that youthful glow any girl (or guy) would envy!
- It’s high in Vitamin A too, which is also great for your skin. It helps maintain the structure of your skin, so bye bye wrinkles and crow’s feet my friends.
- A single serving of aspargus (I easily eat 2-3 servings because it’s so yummy) has 60% of the recommend amount of folic acid. That’s the highest of any fruit or veggie out there. So, if you’re pregnant do your baby a favor and eat a ton of aspargus!
- One stalk of aspargus has a measly 4 calories. You’d have to eat more than 500 hundred of these babies before you can even think about the word fat.
Now for that wonderful recipe I was boasting about…
But first you need to know how to buy it. Luckily for you (and me), asparagus is on the clean 15 list, so you really don’t NEED to buy organic. Smell the tops of the aspargus. If it smells a little rancid, keep looking. It really shouldn’t have much of a smell at all. You’ll also notice some will be really skinny and some will be thick. I personally like the skinny stalks, BUT it’s said the bigger the diameter the better the quality. See what you like best.
Ok now for real, the recipe.
Like I said before, THIS is the tastiest recipe. I was at a restaurant and got some asparagus. EWW, it was so gross I spit it out. I was like no wonder people don’t like asparagus! You MUST try it this way!
I’m confident it can change your mind 🙂
1 bunch of asparagus
Extra virgin olive oil (about 2 tablespoons)
Course sea salt
Fresh ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Take your asparagus and break or cut the ends off. They’re too tough to eat.
3. Lay them on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. (You want just enough to lightly coat the asparagus)
4. Sprinkle your sea salt and fresh ground pepper over the asparagus.
5. With your hands, toss the asparagus around so they are lightly coated with the olive oil, salt, and pepper.
6. Put them in the oven for 12 minutes. Violá!
(NOTE: If asparagus is really thin, adjust time to 10 minutes. If it’s really thick, adjust to 14 minutes)
Try it! It’s finger-lickin’ good. I mean that literally!
Keep a watch out for my next Jumping for Joy with These Foods
And get your Asparagus On!